How appropriate to reveal the Goddess of the Month just before Mother’s Day this Sunday. Granted I missed April’s Goddess due to traveling, but I’m back and hitting you with 2 Goddesses!
Our April Goddess of the Month is…
She is a Grecian Goddess associated with the laurel tree, hence the artist has depicted her as such. Greek mythology says she was immortalized in this form because she prayed to the river God Peneus for help. She was trying to get away from Apollo, who had become infatuated with her. So Peneus answered her prayer by turning her into a laurel tree, which Apollo worshipped forever.
If you want to learn more about her and her story, click on the link below:
Our Goddess for the Month of May is…
Goddess of compassion
The Goddess of Compassion has many devotees in Asia where thousands of altars are made for her. She takes many forms and has many names. In China, her name is Kuan Yin or Miao Shan. In India and Tibet, she is Tara who herself is made up of 21 deities.
She is often shown with the sacred lotus flower, which symbolizes purity and enlightenment; pearls of illumination; and a small vase filled with divine nectar. Her right hand expresses the traditional Buddhist mudra, warding off evil.
give thanks to all the Goddesses out there raising, loving, and guiding children, whether you physically gave birth to them or not. Brown Vegan Goddess hopes you have a lovely and joyful mother’s day this Sunday. Peace & Balance Always!
Top 5 Ways to Stress-Less
With so much going on in our personal lives, in the U.S. & around the globe, you can easily become overwhelmed and stressed out. For me personally, I have seen more than enough police brutality, killing, injustice, ignorance & hate to last a lifetime. I mean I am worn out as black woman in America. If we aren’t God, we damn sure have been carrying the weight of the world on our shoulders since the beginning of time like God.
“And if we are made in his image then call us by our names, most intellects do not believe in God but they fear us just the same.” -Badu
And since we are Goddesses, it is highly beneficial for you to know how to heal yourself & love yourself. So real quick, I want to give you some gems to help you deal with and cope with the stressors of life. These things always help and work for me, and I hope they will work for you too.
- Verbalize: This means talking it out to someone who you consider to be wise counsel & that you trust. This can be a friend, sibling, spouse, parent, elder, or professional. It helps to verbalize how you are feeling and what you are feeling to someone because we are connected and we thrive on being in contact with other huemans. Their positive energy will balance out the negative energy of stress that you feel. And be sure to thank them for their time, energy and space they made available to you. It doesn’t hurt to give them a gift of appreciation as well.
- Write: Any one who knows me, knows I’m a huge advocate for writing things down. Get you a journal, notebook, piece of paper, whatever; something to write what you are feeling down. The whole point is to get it (stress) out of you.
- Get Out/Go In: So getting out is pretty obvious. Get out into Mother Earth. Allow her healing vibrations to balance out the negative energy, because you know it’s not about removing negative or opposite energy. It’s always about balance in EVERYTHING. Go walking on a nature trail. If you live close by a body of water go there. Take off your shoes and walk in the grass or the dirt or sand. Being sure to breathe deeply in through your nose & out through your mouth gently. If you are into yoga do that outdoors barefoot. It’ll change your life! (I have a few yoga videos on my youtube channel if you would like a great flow for beginners).
- Meditate/Pray: This ones self-explanatory. I also wrote about how to meditate a while back. Look through the archives or type it into the search bar to find it.
- Affirming Thoughts: This just means think well & be well. Positive, self-affirming thoughts have a major impact on our life because what we think becomes our reality. We have to remind ourselves how strong we are, how deserving of all things good we are, and how powerful beyond measure we are.
Some events in our life will require that we do all 5 of these at the same damn time, more than once! I’ve had to over the past month and a half. The stress of working in healthcare, being a mama and wife, building a brand, traveling, trying to lose weight in my midsection, etc. You can see why knowing how to heal myself & de-stress is crucial. So I hope this helps someone & if it does I wanna hear about it in the comments below!
let us know some ways you de-stress in the comment section below, it might just help someone.
Peace & Balance Always Loves!
Brown Vegan Goddess
Greetings to all my Gods & Goddesses!
If you follow me on Instagram then you probably have seen photos of me traveling for the past 2 weeks! There was some highlights and some things not worth mentioning or things that I don’t want to re-live, like sitting on a plane for 5 hrs with a smelly baby in front of me the whole time :-/ Or, the spider that decided to crawl up next to me the first night in LA as I’m just beginning to doze off good. Just rude.
Anyway, during my travels I didn’t have a chance to update you guys like I planned to. And to be honest, it’s really not much to update ya’ll on because well…I wasn’t really doing too great on this weight loss journey thing.
I didn’t have a scale to weight myself, nor did I want one. I take that back…I did have a scale in the spa I went to one day while in Vegas. Let’s just say I was disappointed to see the number when I stood on it. Here I am thinking I worked out in the gym yesterday, then I sweated off a couple pounds in the sauna and steam room…I just knooooooow I lost a couple pounds. Nope! Ha!
So, I’m not sure if I should give ya’ll a recap of all the things I ate for the past 2 weeks or not. Just know that everything was plant-based of course, but not the healthiest. I’ll just give you a brief recap of my week in Vegas and then my week in LA.
Week 2 in las vegas
- Light walk at Red Rock Canyon
- 1hr workout at the gym that included treadmill, elliptical, various weight machines and leg lifts
- Walking around the Spring Preserves for an hour in the sweltering heat
- Sweating at the sauna and steam room for a few hours
- Walking around downtown LV sightseeing and buying food
- Beignets, Donut, Brownie, Milk Shake, Cookie (I didn’t eat all of these by myself though)
- Fried tofu & fried seitan, fried rice and fried mushrooms
- Mac n Cheeze, cornbread, fried potato wedges
- Lots of water
- The only thing healthy that I ate were the mangos, vegetables on the side of meal or in the fried rice.
So this is what I mean by eating plant-based doesn’t mean you are eating healthy. Sweets and fried foods are horrible for your body, vegan or not. And this is why I’m on a weight loss journey, to train myself to make better decisions about what I eat.
Week 3 in california
- A 15-minute power walk in Beverly Hills because I didn’t want to be late for an appointment.
- 2 pieces of cake
- breakfast burrito and pan-fried potatoes
- Burger and fries
- Fried rice with tofu
- Water and hemp milk for drinks
- Beans and rice with tofu
Once again not making the best choices, but I’m not going to beat myself up about it. Because guess what? There is always to tomorrow, next week and next month to make better choices.
Current weight: I gained 3lbs back based on my scale at home
My plan for the coming weeks is to become consistent, and get back into controlling my portions and cutting out fried foods all together. My doctor in California told me to start drinking up to a gallon of water a day (I definitely don’t drink enough water), eat oatmeal in the morning, salads for lunch, berries for dinner and snack on nuts throughout the day; and watch the pounds fall off. And of course, maintain an active lifestyle of at least 30 minutes-1 hour of activity a day. Remember to take a day of rest so that the muscles can heal and the body can rebuild.
I hope this helps someone out there who is on their weight loss journey too, or thinking about starting their journey.
Peace & Balance Always!
*Stay locked in for updates on my journey by subscribing if you haven’t already. Share this page if you think it just might inspire someone! Thank You!
Go to my Instagram page to see photos of some of my meals and activities that I mentioned here in this post.
IF YOU READ THE LATEST POST ABOUT DISCOVERING YOUR PURPOSE I MENTIONED DOING A BOOK GIVEAWAY RELATED TO THAT VERY TOPIC. IF YOU DIDN’T READ IT, CLICK HERE.
THIS BOOK, THE DESIRE MAP, IS ABOUT CREATING A MAP OR GUIDE SO TO SPEAK, TO ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS AND LIVE IN YOUR PURPOSE!
IF YOU WANT A CHANCE TO WIN ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS:
- BE A SUBSCRIBER OF THE BROWN VEGAN GODDESS WEBSITE.
- COMMENT BELOW WITH 1 WORD DESCRIBING YOUR PURPOSE.
FRIDAY, APRIL 28th, I WILL RANDOMLY SELECT A WINNER!
Update: Because there weren’t enough entries to make it fair. I am discontinuing the giveaway. I was hoping by extending the deadline that it would help. Oh well. Hopefully for the next giveaway we will have better participation. Peace & Balance Always!